Definition: A circadian rhythm is a roughly 24-hour cycle in the biochemical, physiological, or behavioural processes of living entities (Thank you Wikipedia).
Things I have learned about my Circadian Rhythm from working the graveyard shift:
- Sleep is necessary for the body to function at a normal level
- Reading can only happen for so long before the "head bob" starts to happen, even with a really good book.
- Crosswords are harder in the middle of the night
- Sudoku is almost impossible in the middle of the night
- Snacks are essential to staying awake, grapes are winning so far on the awake factor.
- Caffeinated beverages are my life source now.
- Driving home with the need to use the facilities is wisest for staying awake.
- Sleeping during the day is REALLY hard...
- The more tired I am, the more awake I seem to be at work.
- Doing sit ups and other various "workout" activities helps, but not for as long as I hoped
- Technology really does help stay awake, but that is NOT an option at my job...
- Working graves is a rough adjustment...people say you never get used to it. Glad to know this is just a means to an end.

Bryce is definitely not graveyard, but his shifts go from 6:30AM-4:30 or 2PM-midnight. I think he's always tired because he either wakes up at 5:40 or gets home at like 12:45. There's not much of a routine.
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can sleep for the next 24 hours. If not, I can sleep in the backyard for a few days.
ReplyDelete